Where better to build your business?
The slogan "Where Better to Build your Business", ideally
summarises the benefits of a location in Richmondshire where it is
possible to have a first class commercial location for your
business as well as offering you and your family a living
environment with a 'quality of life' second to none.
encompasses some of England's most unspoilt and beautiful
countryside and includes much of the renowned Yorkshire Dales. Some
of the finest scenery is to be found in the District's main dales
of Wensleydale and Swaledale, which are perhaps the best known of
the 26 dales in the District. The focal point of Richmondshire is
the historic town of Richmond with its famous Norman Castle, its
cobbled market place and its elegant Georgian buildings. The
smaller market towns of Leyburn and Hawes are important service
centres for the District with the main military presence of
Catterick Garrison being another important local feature.
Located at a crossroads of communication with easy access to the
population centres in the North East, Teesside and West Yorkshire
via the District highway arteries, the A1 and A66, Richmondshire
can offer business the prospect of easily servicing a wide market
area. Richmondshire can also offer readily available, high quality
land at Colburn, Hawes and Leyburn to match this resource an
available workforce with a proven record of commitment and good
The Richmondshire Business Support Grant Scheme
Due to the exceptional level of interest in the Grant
Scheme the available funding has now reached it's limit. This
Scheme is currently on hold whilst additional resources are
The Council has launched a new and improved grant scheme from
1st May 2008. This replaces the previous grant scheme by
offering more eligibility and business benefits. In preparing
the scheme we consulted extensively with local Business
Associations to ensure it both meets the needs of businesses in
Richmondshire, and develops our local economy.
The scheme has been specifically designed to help local
businesses grow, boost their competitiveness and create job
opportunities. Grants of up to £5,000 are now available for small
and medium sized businesses with innovative business plans.
Any SME (small medium enterprise) in the following business
sectors located anywhere within our boundaries can apply for 50 per
cent of a given project’s cost, up to a maximum grant contribution
of £5,000. Applications will be appraised on their individual
merits, on a first come, first served basis.
Businesses in the following sectors will be eligible:
- Food and drink businesses
- Eating establishments
- Supply chain businesses
- Manufacturing and Engineering
- Information Technology/Digital/Media
- Agricultural diversification
- Tourist Accommodation premises (only projects that include
enabling use of the Tourism Partnership’s ‘Destination Management
System’ (DMS), or enable ‘Quality Assured’ status are
- Outdoor recreation industry
- Cultural industries and tourism attractions**
** these must be permanent businesses, not occasional or
one off enterprises such as festivals
Interested? For more information please read the
Grant Scheme Criteria Notes.
If you have any questions or would like an application form
forwarding to you, please contact the Economic
Development Team on 01748 829100.
Richmondshire Business Directory
We are delighted to announce that the new and improved
electronic directory will be completed by early 2010. We
hope you find the directory a useful way of promoting and sourcing
businesses in the district of Richmondshire.
If you would like to add your business to the directory or
would like to amend your current listing please contact Economic
Development on (01748) 901036.
Pages in this section
- Business advice
- One of the major obstacles in the decision to set up a small business and become self-employed is a fear of the hurdles and regulations associated with 'going it alone', as well as a worry about the viability of the venture. seminar
These need not be something to be concerned about if they are tackled in an organised way and if advice and guidance is sought from people who are experienced and trained to help. business link events
- Business continuity planning
- Advice to businesses in Business Contiuity Planning
- Business property enquiries
- Details of a wide variety of premises and locations available to suit businesses wishing to locate or expand within Richmondshire hot desk suite
- Business rates
- National Non-Domestic Rates (NNDR), or Business rates as they are sometimes known, are the way local businesses contribute to the cost of services which Richmondshire District Council provide.
- How can we help your business?
- Local businesses can access a variety of services from the Council's Economic Development Team, ranging from advice about grants to help in finding suitable premises, seminar, strategies
- Join in- News, events and contacts
- Richmondshire - where better to build your business?
- Richmondshire can offer you and your workforce a living and working environment with a 'Quality of Life' second to none.
- Sources of funding for business in Richmondshire
- Richmondshire District Council offers grants and loans to new and existing business wishing to expand within the Richmondshire District. Guidance notes.
- To let
- Commercial property available through RDC, colburn business park, Innovate
- Tourism industry support
- We want to support tourism businesses in any way we can, so we've put together a list of marketing tips and other sources of information here.
- Trading standards
- North Yorkshire Trading Standards service.
- Contracts and Tenders
- Expressions of Interest are invited for the following contracts