Waste and Recycling
Commercial Recyling Service
A survey carried out by The Environment Agency in 1998/9 found that 25 million tonnes of commercial waste were produced each year in the UK alone. The cost of sending rubbish to landfill is increasing significantly and if we can divert items by recycling, you will save money. All businesses must take responsibility for the waste that they produce. Recycling your waste will boost your public image.
Please see a copy of the Yellow Pages under Commercial Recycling.
What else can I do?
Waste minimisation isn't just about recycling. It's about the bigger picture. After all, if you don't produce the waste, you don't need to spend time and money getting rid of it.
Take a look around your business and assess the waste you are producing, and where. Don't forget to look at utilities. A PC monitor left on overnight wastes enough energy to print 800 A4 pages.
Once you have identified problem areas, you can take steps to improve them. Don't be afraid to challenge existing practices.
Tips for reduction
- Use the back of sheets of paper for taking telephone messages.
- Make sure your printer and photocopier are set to double sided.
- Use e-mails rather than memos, letter and faxes.
- Use a real cup or mug instead of disposable ones.
- Avoid unnecessary packaging. Where possible use packaging that can be returned to the supplier for re-use.
- Reduce unwanted mail and faxes by signing up to the mail and fax preference services at www.mpsonline.org.uk orwww.fpsonline.org.uk.
For further information on dealing with waste from your business speak with your Commercial Waste provider or visit