Jobcentres and Jobcentre Plus
Jobcentre Plus is gradually being introduced to replace jobcentres.
Jobcentre Plus brings together job-seeking help and help in
claiming benefits under one roof.
Is Jobcentre Plus for me?
If you are receiving benefits and looking for work, you will meet a
personal adviser on your first visit to Jobcentre Plus office or
Jobcentre. They will help you (or your partner) find the kind
of job that is right for you, whether you are looking for your
first job or want to get back to work. They can help you arrange
the training you may need to get back into work.
At your first meeting, the personal adviser will look at
- your work experience (any jobs you have had)
- what skills you have
- any training or qualifications you have
- any education or training opportunities you would like to take
- any help you might need, for example with child care or health
- any special help you might need if you have a disability
Your personal adviser will also help you work out your
financial position in work. They will look at your personal
circumstances and how much benefit you may get. They will then look
- the kind of job you might get
- how much the job would pay
- any extra support Jobcentre Plus might give you while you are
If you have been claiming Jobseeker's Allowance for 18 months
and have still not started work, you will automatically be invited
into the New Deal 25 plus programme to discuss your job and
training options with a personal adviser.
Find out more about Jobcentre Plus
You can contact Jobcentre Plus by telephoning 0800 055
If you find it hard to speak or hear clearly
a textphone is available on 0800 023 4888. Lines are open from 8.00
am to 8.00 pm, Monday to Friday or by visiting their website at: