A1 and A6136 Major Road Works
Exhibition about planned diversions at Catterick south : Thursday, 24 March 2016
A public exhibition will be held on Thursday 24 March 2016 at Catterick Village Sports Pavilion to provide an update on planned traffic diversions at Catterick south junction. This work is critical to the successful completion of the A1 Leeming to Barton improvement scheme.
The event will run from 2:30 to 7pm and will explain the diversion phases and traffic management and give you an opportunity to raise any questions or concerns
Location: Catterick Village Sports Pavilion Catterick south junction, High Street, Catterick, Richmond, DL10 7LL.
Please contact the Highways England Public Liaison Team, if you have any questions
Tel : 01677 932 348
Fort Bridge Closure from 10 November 2015
Fort Bridge takes the A6136 from Catterick Garrison over the A1 at Catterick Bridge. It will be replaced as part of the A1 upgrade. Highways England have announced that Fort Bridge will be closed from 10 November 2015 for up to 18 months. Diversion routes through Catterick Village and the new Catterick Central junction have been published on the A1 upgrade website.
You can find more information about the Fort Bridge closure and the rest of the A1 Leeming to Barton upgrade on the Highways England website. Follow this link:
A6136 Junction Improvements
Update 4 February 2016
The works at Catterick Bridge junction will start on February 8 and last for 6 weeks. There will be temporary closures of existing pedestrian routes and alternative routes will be signposted.
Alternatively visit NYCC website www.northyorks.gov.uk/cattericklep for further information
Update 23 December 2015
The scheme to upgrade the White Shops junction will begin later than originally planned. The delay has been caused by the need to divert a significant underground power cable. Northern Power Grid says that the diversion should be carried out between April and October, when weather conditions are better. This makes it possible to start the works in the summer holidays and minimise disruption.
The schemes at Catterick Bridge and Scorton Crossroads will start in February as planned, to be completed before April 2016.
Richmondshire District and North Yorkshire County Councils have been awarded £1.2M from the Local Growth Fund to improve traffic flow between the A1, Colburn and the new Catterick Garrison Town Centre. The following improvements will be delivered by April 2016:
- Whiteshops – upgraded signalised junction (link to plan)
- Catterick Bridge – change in priority for A1 Local Access Road (link to plan)
- Scorton Crossroads – Signals upgrade (link to plan)
The works are expected to start in early 2016 and we will start to publish weekly updates when dates are confirmed. These updates will be sent to many local organisations so that they can prepare for the works and let as many people know about them as possible. These include:
- District and County Councillors. Local Authority Services in Catterick Garrison and Catterick Village. Parish Councils
- North Yorkshire County Council and Richmondshire District Council Customer Services Units
- Ministry of Defence. Local Enterprise Partnership
- Arriva. Passenger Transport, NYCC. Area 1 Highways Programming team. Highways England- A1 upgrade
- Local businesses including Catterick Racecourse, White shops and Broadway shops. Richmond and Lower Swale Business Association
- Harewood, Colburn and Catterick Village medical practices. Garrison Medical centre. Emergency Services
- Risedale Sports and Community College. Hipswell ,Le Cateau and Colburn Community Primary Schools. Hipswell village kindergarten
- Richmond Leisure Trust. Equestrian centres. Coast 2 Coast. Bridleway Association. Sustrans. Local cycling group. Local Access Forum
Advanced warning notices and routine updates will also be posted on NYCC’s Facebook and Twitter pages once start dates have been confirmed. The updates will also contain news of any A1 upgrade diversions that might affect your journey in this area.
Richmondshire District Council's Community Development Team by emailing