Did You Know - One disposable nappy can take up to 500 years
to decompose in landfill?
Richmondshire District Council supports the use of Real
Nappies to reduce the amount of waste that goes to
Washable nappies are soft, naturally breathable and absorbent,
and kind to your babies skin. They do not contain gels or
chemicals. Infrequent change of nappy is the main cause of nappy
rash, not the type of nappy that is worn.
- Approximately 8 million disposable nappies are thrown away in
Britain every year. Approximately 7.5 million of these end up in
- Modern re-usable nappies are very similar to disposables and
are as easy to use.
- Babies get through about 5,000 nappies in their first two and a
half years. Why buy 5,000 disposable nappies when you can get away
with up to 24 washable ones?
- 4% of all household rubbish in the UK is disposable
- Disposing of nappies costs the UK taxpayer £40 million per
- Parents can save hundreds of pounds by using cotton rather than
disposable nappies for their first child. The savings for
subsequent children are even higher.