Filthy or Verminous Properties

What are filthy and/or verminous premises?

Filthy - usually means there is a large amount of rotting food, human or animal excrement inside the property that is prejudicial to health

Verminous - means the property is infested with pests such as rats, mice or insects.

Premises - includes domestic and commercial, but does not include factories, mines or quarries.

What can we do?

The Public Health Act 1936 requires the Council to serve a notice on the occupier to cleanse the property where Environmental Health have found it to be filthy or verminous. It does not matter if the occupier owns or rents the property.

If Notices are not complied with the Council can employ contractors to carry out the required works to clean the property and/or destroy the vermin.

Sometimes the person in the property is vulnerable and needs help. The Council will work with partner organisations, such as Social Services, to try and provide as much help and support as possible.

The Council cannot use this legislation to deal with cluttered or untidy houses, or for rubbish in the garden only. Other legislation may be more appropriate for these situations such as Statutory Nuisance

What should you do next?

If you are concerned about a property, or a person living in a filthy or verminous property, you can contact Environmental Health by email - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., telephone - 01748 829100 or write to - Environmental Health, Richmondshire District Council, Mercury House, Station Road, Richmond, North Yorkshire DL10 4JX


Contact Us

Richmondshire District Council
Mercury House
Station Road
North Yorkshire
DL10 4JX

Phone: 01748 829100
Fax: 01748 826186
E-Mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.