Environmental Health will investigate complaints about smells from industrial, trade or business premises. Statutory nuisance law does not cover smells from domestic premises.
Nuisance smells can be caused by problems with:
- agricultural practices like spreading slurry or sludge onto land
- sewage handling facilities (including sewage treatment works, sewage pumping stations, sludge treatment centres, and storm water storage tanks)
- food processors and commercial kitchens (for example, if the extraction system is poor)
- animals, livestock and poultry
- slaughter houses, abattoirs and animal by-product rendering plants like pet food factories
- paints and solvents from garages or workshops (for example, if vents are poorly positioned)
- unplanned spills (for example, from vehicle accidents)
Further information on how we will investigate your complaint can be found in the leaflet Statutory Nuisance.
For more information on statutory nuisance follow the link https://www.gov.uk/statutory-nuisance