On 1 October 2011 the Government transferred all sewage pipes outside your property boundaries and all sewage pipes which are shared with another property within your boundary to the sewerage/water companies.

In Richmondshire, the main company is Yorkshire Water Tel 0345 124 2424, however some areas are served by Northumbrian Water who can be contacted on Tel 0345 717 1100. These companies are also responsible for the main public sewers.

If your property is owned by the Council and you are the only property affected, please contact Housing Repairs.

If your complaint relates to discharges of sewage or other waste water from drains into streams or rivers, this should be reported to the Environment Agency Tel 0800 80 7060

If your complaint is about a neighbouring property (for example defective septic tank, blocked or defective drains, associated odours) Environmental Health can investigate your complaint.   If the owner(s) of the drainage system do not resolve the blockage or defect, then a Statutory Notice can be served on those responsible, and if necessary the council will arrange for works to be carried out, and costs will be recovered from the owners.

Blocked road gullies are the responsibility of Highways at NYCC: 0845 872 7374

For further information or to register a complaint please contact Environmental Health.


Contact Us

Richmondshire District Council
Mercury House
Station Road
North Yorkshire
DL10 4JX

Phone: 01748 829100
Fax: 01748 826186
E-Mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.