Riding Establishments



To run a riding establishment (where horses or ponies are hired out for riding or used for riding instruction) you need a licence from the local authority.
Summary of legislation
The legislation relating to this licence is the Riding Establishments Act 1970.
Conditions relating to a licence can be found here Conditions.
Who needs to notify/apply?
Any fit and proper person, who is not disqualified from keeping animals, can apply. They must be over 18 years of age, pay any required fee and comply with any conditions attached to a licence.
How long will it take to consider the notification/application?
Before deciding an application, the Local Authority must consider a report from an authorised veterinary surgeon or veterinary practitioner detailing whether the premises are suitable for a riding establishment and detailing the condition of the premises and any horses.

The Local Authority will also take into account whether the applicant is suitable and qualified to hold a licence.

How much will it cost to notify/apply?

The fee for a riding establishment licence can be found using this link Fees & Charges

You will also be responsible for payment of any fee for the veterinary surgeon or veterinary practitioner’s report before the licence is granted.

Will tacit consent apply?

No. It is in the public interest that the local authority must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please contact us at the address given below.

How do I apply?

You can download an application form here Application Form, complete and print it and send it to the contact address given below.

The clock starts when the completed application is submitted along with all the required information and documents requested, including the fee. If we find an error or omission in the application, the application will be placed on hold and the clock restarts when the applicant either supplies a correction or all the information requested.

The licence will be issued subject to compliance with licence conditions and payment of the licence fee.

If my application is refused, how do I appeal?

You may appeal to a Magistrates’ Court if you are aggrieved by a refusal of a licence or by any condition subject to which a licence is proposed to be granted.

Public register?

There is no public register but a list of current licensed riding establishments is available from the address below.

For further information

For further information, please contact us at the address given below.

Contact information

Environmental Health 
Richmondshire District Council
Mercury House
Station Road
North Yorkshire
DL10 4JX

Telephone: 01748 829100
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Contact Us

Richmondshire District Council
Mercury House
Station Road
North Yorkshire
DL10 4JX

Phone: 01748 829100
Fax: 01748 826186
E-Mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.