Caravan Sites and Campsites

There are 3 main areas with respect to licencing:
     Caravans Sites- Holiday and Touring
     Caravan Sites- Permanent Residential (Park Homes)
     Camp sites- tents

Caravan Sites (Holiday and Touring) and Campsites (for tents)

The licensing of caravan sites is controlled by the Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960(CSCDA).
The licensing of campsites is controlled by the Public Health Act 1936 (Section 269).
Unless exempted then it is the council who issue and enforce licences for caravan and campsites.
It is an offence to operate without a licence.

Planning Permission and Exemptions to licencing requirements

Caravan sites need planning permission (planning approval or a certificate of lawfulness) before a licence can be granted.

For campsites, if the land is used for more than 28 days in total in any calendar year then relevant planning permission must be obtained. A campsite which is used for more than 42 days consecutively or 60 days in total in any consecutive 12 months must also have a site licence for the area concerned.

Certain exemptions to caravan site licencing requirements are included in the first schedule of the CSCDA. Please refer to the schedule for detailed information or contact us to discuss whether or not you need a licence


There are standard conditions for each type of site (which can be adapted to individual circumstances) which need to be complied with

If you have a multi-purpose site more than one set of conditions will apply. Some sites may also have bespoke conditions attached depending on unique circumstances.

Holiday Conditions

Tent conditions

Touring conditions

Application for a licence / Changes to existing licences

The occupier of the land will need to apply for a site licence. Site licences are free (fees only apply to Park Homes sites)

Once a valid application/transfer has been recieved, the council will aim to complete consideration of the application within 40 working days for caravan sites or within 20 working days for campsites

You can apply for a site licence by using the forms below:-
• caravan site licence (printable application)
• camp site licence (printable application)

Any changes?

Check that your name, the site name and site address are up to date. Also check that the licence corresponds with your planning permission. Contact us if you need to update your licence.

Licences are transferable to a new occupier but the law requires the council to give consent. Please contact us for advice about what you need to do

Public Register?

All caravan sites and campsites licensed by the council are listed here Public Register

Further information

The 'Caravan and other licensable sites - Enforcement policy' is available here Enforcement policy

Contact Us

If you have any enquiries, please contact Environmental Health

Contact Us

Richmondshire District Council
Mercury House
Station Road
North Yorkshire
DL10 4JX

Phone: 01748 829100
Fax: 01748 826186
E-Mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.