Most Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction is awarded to people who really need it, but some is obtained by fraud and you are paying for this through the tax that you pay.
What types of fraud are there?
Typical examples of benefit fraud are:
- People who work but do not declare this when they claim benefit.
- People who claim as a single person but actually live with a partner.
- People who claim from an address but do not live there.
- People who do not tell us the full amount of income, savings or capital when they claim benefit.
- People who for any reason do not have any right to claim Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction.
How can I report suspected benefit fraud?
If you know or suspect that a fraud has taken place, help us to stop it. If you have any information, you can call the benefit Fraud Hotline in complete confidence - you do not have to leave your name and the call is FREE.
Benefit Fraud Hotline: 01904 552935
You can also report the fraud using our online fraud report