If you have a change in your circumstances and you do not tell us straight away we may pay you too much benefit. If you are overpaid, we will send you a letter telling you how much you owe, the period of the overpayment and the reason why you have been overpaid. You then have one calendar month to contact us either to appeal against the decision or to make arrangements to pay.

How will we recover overpayments?

We will recover this money from you either by reducing the level of future benefit we pay you or we will send you an invoice. If your housing benefit was paid to your landlord we may contact them to make arrangements for the money to be repaid, who in turn may contact you to recover the money.
Please also see our 'Overpayments leaflet' for further information.
If you think your benefit is wrong please contact the benefits team on  01748 829100 or e-mail This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.