Who Can Claim?
Who can claim Housing/Council Tax Benefit?
To be able to claim Housing and/or Council Tax Reduction, a person must be:
- on a low income
- liable to pay rent or council tax
- living in the property
People who are working full time or part time, are self employed or retired, can claim Housing and/or Council Tax Reduction as well as people who are unemployed or cannot work because of illness or because they are caring for someone.
Who cannot claim Housing/Council Tax Benefit?
Some people cannot claim Housing and/or Council Tax Reduction. These include:
- people (apart from some pensioners) who have more than £16,000 in savings or investments
- people who pay rent to a close relative who lives in the same property
- most students
- people who rent a property which they (or their partner) previously owned
- people who have no recourse to public funds under Immigration rules
For further information about who can claim Housing and/or Council Tax Benefit, see useful leaflets and forms.