If you wish to report a change please do this online - online change in circumstances form  or email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. 


Claiming Housing Benefit / Council Tax Reduction if you have 2 or more children:

With effect from 6 April 2017 the way that we calculate your allowances for dependant children for Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction has changed.

If you have more than 2 dependant children, the amount of dependant allowances will be based on your entitlement to Child Tax Credit.  If your Child Tax Credit is restricted on the amount of dependant allowance you receive, then your Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction will reflect this.

It is essential that when claiming Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction, you provide your Child Tax Credit Award letter from HMRC.

For further details please click here


If you wish to apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment  



Universal Credit replaces Housing Benefit from 12 October 2016, for working age customers in the majority of cases. Universal Credit will make payments towards  any Housing Costs.

If you are liable for Council Tax, you still claim this with the council using our online  application form

If you are a young individual aged 18-21 you may not be able to claim any Universal Credit towards your Housing Costs, after 1 April 2017, please see the web site below for more information.

There are still a few postcodes in this District that are outside of the Full Service area, please see attached web site for more details.  Universal Credit


TEMPORARY ABSENCE RULES - Changes effective from 28 July 2016

(Housing Benefit and State Pension Credit (Temporary Absence) (Amendment) Regulations 2016 (SI 2016/624))


New Regulations reduce the period that a person can be temporarily absent from Great Britain where entitlement to Housing Benefit and Pension Credit continues, from 13 weeks to 4 weeks in most cases.  Great Britain, unlike the United Kingdom, does not include Northern Ireland, nor the Isle of Man or the Channel Islands.  This will mean temporary absences to these places will be treated under the new rules. Please click Temporary Absence Guide for further information regarding the changes.


FAMILY PREMIUM - Changes effective from 1 May 2016

From 1 May 2016 the family premium will not be included in the Housing Benefit applicable amount for new entitlements to Housing Benefit beginning on or after 1 May 2016 or for any existing customers who have a child or become responsible for a child (under 16) or young person (under 20) for the first time after 30 April 2016.  It will also mean that if a current customer ceases to have the family premium included in their claim because they cease to have responsibility for a child or young person, they will not be able to regain access to the family premium if they become responsible again in the future.  



There's a limit on the total amount of benefit that working age people can get.  This is called "the benefit cap"

Residents affected by the benefit cap will have their Housing Benefit or Universal Credit reduced so that their weekly income is no higher than these cap levels.

The level of the cap is:

  • £500 a week for couples (with or without children living with them)
  • £500 a week for single parents whose children live with them
  • £350 a week for single adults who don't have children, or whose children don't live with them


From Autumn 2016, the benefit cap will be reduced!

  • £384.62 a week for couples (with or without children living with them)
  • £384.72 a week for single parents whose children live with them
  • £257.69 a week for single adults who don't have children, or whose children don't live with them


For more information about the benefit cap changes, please visit 


New State Pension Changes for April 2016

pdfNew_State _Pension_April_2016.pdf


Non Dependant Deductions

There are also other changes which may affect you if you claim Housing Benefit.  If you have another adult aged over 18, that is not your partner, who normally lives at your property the amount of deduction we take from your benefit changes each year. The way we work this out is based on their gross income per week/month.

 docxNon Dependant Deductions



Will you qualify?

The Benefits Team calculate and pay Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction.

 Housing Benefit (HB) is an income-related Social Security Benefit calculated, and paid by the Council.  Council Tax Reduction (from April 2013) is an income-related discount applied to your Council Tax charge, and paid by the Council.

If you would like to see if you qualify for this benefit and/or discount please contact the benefits section or click on our benefit calculator. You can also use the links on the right to find out about other benefits you could be entitled to.
The amount of Benefit payable depends on the claimants' financial and personal circumstances and the Local Housing Allowance rate at the time of application. The Benefit schemes are designed to help people on low incomes pay their rent and Council Tax.
 • It's not just for pensioners
 • It's not just for the unemployed
 • It's not just for single parents

From 1 April 2017 the rules have changes for people who need an extra bedroom as follows:

  • extra room for an overnight carer for a child.
  • extra room for two adults who are unable to share a room due to medical reasons.

To claim benefit you can complete our online application form

 Alternatively you can come into one of our five community offices within the Richmondshire district, or telephone our Benefits Section on 01748 829100 for  assistance.
It may also be possible to obtain further help with your Council Tax bill by receiving either a discount, exemption or a reduction due to a disabled person living in the property. For further information about Council Tax discounts and exemptions please click Council Tax discounts.

You can download a a wide range of useful leaflets and forms relating to claiming Housing Benefit & Council Tax Reduction.

 Our Service to you

 We want to give you an efficient service so that your claim is problem free.  You can help by:
• returning your claim form promptly.
• giving us as much evidence as you can when you return the form (otherwise we will have to write to you again which will delay settling your claim).
• reading carefully any letters we send you so that we can correct any mistakes straight away.
• asking us to check what your benefit is likely to be if you rent from a private landlord.
• telling us about any change in your circumstances straight away.  If you don't do this we might give you too much benefit which you will have to pay back later.

Customer Charter

Our Customer Charter sets out the standards of service you can expect to receive whenever you contact us.
If what you are looking for is not here at the moment, or you would like further information please e-mail us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., visit one of our community offices, or telephone 01748 829100 and ask to speak to a member of the Benefits Team.
Our office opening times are:
Monday to Thursday 8:45am - 5:15pm Fridays 8:45am - 4:45pm

Contact Us

Richmondshire District Council
Mercury House
Station Road
North Yorkshire
DL10 4JX

Phone: 01748 829100
Fax: 01748 826186
E-Mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.