Affordable Warmth

The Home Energy Conservation Act (HECA) 1995

Local Authorities are well placed to assess the needs of their residents and areas and to act as catalysts for change. The HECA 1995 recognises Local Authorities' ability to use their position to improve the energy efficiency of residential accommodation of all tenures in their areas.

Richmondshire District Council in partnership with York, Hambleton, Ryedale and Selby Councils worked with Yorkshire Energy Partnership to produce HECA plans for each area.The Richmondshire plan sets out the energy conservation measures that the Council considers practicable, cost-effective and likely to result in significant improvements in the energy efficiency of residential accommodation in the District.

Click here to view our 2017 HECA plan

Rural Action Yorkshire – Winter Weather Scheme

Rural Action Yorkshire have developed a Winter Weather Scheme open for groups and organisations during 2015-16. Rural Action Yorkshire are able to support 5 rural communities to set up their own Winter Weather Scheme tailored to the needs of their community. The scheme offers grants of up to £300 to help keep communities stay safe this winter. For further information, please find attached a poster and an small grant application form or alternatively you can contact Tina Chamberlain at Rural Action Yorkshire on This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or 0845 313 0270

Help with keeping your home warm

Rising fuel costs are making it increasingly difficult for many people to keep their homes at a reasonable temperature.  If you are finding it hard to keep warm and are spending more than 10% of your income on fuel costs them it may be worthwhile seeing if you can get help to reduce your bills.  Here are some useful tips on how to save energy and cut your fuel bills:-

Check that you are receiving any benefits that you may qualify for.  Our Benefits page has information on Council Tax Reduction and Housing Benefit and how to claim.  You can also use benefits checker to see if there are other benefits that you may be entitled to.


Fuel debt - avoiding and advice

If you have built up a fuel debt and are having difficulty paying for it, in the first instance try talking honestly with your energy company. They may be able to help you by spreading the payments or changing your tariff. They have an obligation to consider your situation fairly, taking into account your ability to pay and suggesting a suitable way forward.

The Citizens Advice Bureau have put together a detailed set of Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) on gas and electricity bills.

The Home Heat Helpline is a free phone service which helps vulnerable energy customers who are worried about their fuel bills. The Helpline assists people to access further information, schemes and services that will help manage energy costs. To get in touch with The Home Heat Helpline please click here or call 0800 33 66 99.


Oil clubs

Oil clubs run in rural locations where many homes are without mains gas. They are organised by groups of local people who agree to purchase heating oil in bulk together, meaning they take advantage of a lower oil price per unit.

If there isn't an oil club in your community and you are interested in starting one or finding out how they work, please contact Ruth Collins at Yorkshire Energy Partnership on 01904 545020.


Contacts and Links

- Yorkshire Energy Partnership: 01904 545020
- Energy Saving Trust: 0800 512 012
- Citizens advice bureau
- Home Heat Helpline: 0800 33 66 99

Financial Help



If you can't find what you are looking for on this page, then please contact the Community Development Team on 01748 901112