Scrap Metal Dealers
Anyone operating as a scrap metal dealer in this District is required to register for the purposes of the Scrap Metal Dealers Act 1964. A scrap metal dealer is defined as any person who carries on a business that consists wholly or partly of buying and selling scrap metal, whether it is sold in the form it was bought or otherwise.
For further details of the requirements relating to scrap metal dealers, please read the Notes for Scrap Metal Dealers.
Summary of legislation
Who needs to notify?
A scrap metal dealer will need to register with us if:-
- They occupy a place as a scrap metal store in this District, or
- They do not occupy a place as a scrap metal store in this District or elsewhere but their usual place of residence is in this District, or
- They do not occupy a place as a scrap metal store but they occupy a place in this District for business purposes.
How long will it take to consider the notification?
If all the relevant information on the application form has been correctly completed, the Council aims to enter the details onto the register within 10 working days of receipt of the application.
How much will it cost to notify?
Registration lasts for three years. The fees can be found using this link Fees & Charges
Will tacit consent apply?
Yes. This means that you will be able to act as if you have not heard from us by the end of the target period.
How do I apply?
- You can register to be a scrap metal dealer using the downloadable form for Collectors Licence and/or Site Licence. Complete and send the form to the address given below.
- You can notify a change to any existing scrap metal site using the form Variation application
If my application is refused, how do I appeal?
There is currently no provision in the legislation for refusal.
What if I have a complaint or concern?
Details from the notification forms will be recorded on the public register which is obtainable by contacting Environmental Health using the details below.
Richmondshire District Council
North Yorkshire DL10 4JX
Telephone: 01748 829100
Fax: 01748 826186